Every year, Google starts swinging their big hammer and penalizing websites because of poor optimization. On August 1st we witnessed a “big” core update within Google’s Billion dollar algorithm.
And according to the big ‘G’, there is NO fix IF your website is impacted.
But don’t be ALARMED!
It’s way too early to conclude. Just because your site is down in rankings, doesn’t mean it will stay that way.
You’ll most likely experience some fluctuations, and you’ll have to wait until Google’s update chills out.
Here’s what I CAN tell you.
So far, it has nothing to do with “spam” or “grey-hat” backlinks like PBNs or even links from sites with traffic.
On the contrary, we’ve been seeing “grey-hat” sites going up in the SERPs. And they are doing better than most sites that pray to get their links published organically.
Again, this says nothing yet since it’s too early to tell.
Here’s what I’ve personally seen with sites that got impacted so far:
– Websites with thin, low-quality content across their pages.
– Websites with a lot of “zombie pages” that don’t offer real value to people.
** Zombie page= a page that isn’t visited or doesn’t provide any value to the user.
– Websites with low user experience or low dwell time (the amount of time they spend on your site browsing).
– Websites with barely any on-page optimization or keywords / LSIs mentioned in the content, title, and meta.
I would love to know what you’ve seen.
Also, I highly recommend applying the following techniques to make sure you’re right:
Remove zombie pages with thin content that provide no value, like:
– Old / Outdated Blog Posts and Press Releases
– Category and Tag Pages (No Index and Remove)
– Search Result Pages (No Index and Remove)
– eCommerce Product Pages with Zero Sales (No Index and Remove)
– Thin Content
– Pages with Duplicate content
Correct Common Technical Issues:
– Duplicate or Missing Title Tags
– Duplicate Description Tags
– Broken Links
– Images with Missing Alt Text
– Pages Blocked By Robots.txt
– 302 Redirects that Should be 301 Redirects
Use SEMrush Site Audit tool to discover the issues. Fewer Pages = Fewer Problems.
Get Rid of Toxic Backlinks Pointed To Your Site:
The more referring domains you have, the more likely you have a toxic link pointed to your site. Link Detox is like an oil change. You MUST maintain your link profile every few months.
Download The Step-By-Step
On-Page Checklist We Use To Rank Sites
We will email you the checklist after you sign up.